Re: [PD-dev] Re: [fluid-dev] fluid~ crashes

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [PD-dev] Re: [fluid-dev] fluid~ crashes
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 15:00:29 -0800

On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 03:06, Larry Troxler wrote:
> On Sunday 04 January 2004 04:05, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
> Hi Frank - just a note to say I feel your pain - and sorry that I haven't had
> much time to look into my problem - which who knows, may or may not be
> related.
>
> Namely, from PD, if I close a fluid~ instance which has a soundfount of say,
> 250MB on my 512MB machine, it seems to wreak havoc for a long time, until I
> lose patience and reboot (this is on a Linux machine!)

Sounds like run away memory allocation problem. Linux is quite
optimistic about memory, so it usually never returns a malloc failure,
but instead happily thrashes all your processes to disk (especially for
priority tasks). Eventually processes that are hogging too much memory
just get killed by the Linux kernel, but I'm not sure if thats the case
with SCHED_FIFO or other high priority processes.

> Larry

Cheers.
        Josh Green