Re: [fluid-dev] Setting generators

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Setting generators
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:41:42 -0800

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 12:40 +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Frank Barknecht hat gesagt: // Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
> > I'd like to add the ability to set generators to the fluid~ external
> > for Pd and Max. I already implemented this by using the
> > fluid_synth_set_gen() function, but somehow I don't hear any changes
> > in sound, when I set some generators to various values.
>
> Ah, sorry, of course just after sending this mail I found an error in
> my code which made me set the generator for the wrong midi channel, so
> I didn't hear any change of course. Now it works.
>
> So it is working for obvious things like generator 17 (pan), but is
> the startloopAddrsOffset etc. really useful for moving the loop points
> around?
>
> Ciao

Swami does real time generator control on a per voice basis (rather than
a MIDI channel). This requires that voice pointers are kept track of
which is easy in this case because instruments are being loaded by Swami
rather than FluidSynth. This is probably isn't convenient for your
situation though. The sample loop start/end offsets do work in that
situation, in real time. I don't see it making much sense in the case of
setting them for an entire channel, unless they are offsets (which might
actually be the case).  Still it would seem like one would want to
change the loop points for an individual voice, rather than all voices
playing on a MIDI channel. Cheers.
        Josh Green