Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI control change - brightness

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI control change - brightness
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 14:02:44 -0700

On Sat, 2005-06-18 at 12:49 +0100, Gerald Pye wrote:
> I've been trying to find out how much of the MIDI spec is implemented in
> Fluid -
> in particular, whether the control change brightness function (176 74 nn)
> works.
> My application is sending MIDI data to Fluid to adjust the brightness setting
> in
> tandem with channel volume messages to try and replicate the effect of what
> happens to a sound source in a large wooden box with shutters on the front as
> the shutters are opened and closed.
>
> Please could anyone comment on whether Fluid does actually support this. I
> have
> to say that I can't hear any change in brightness, although I have
> ascertained
> that Fluid is actually receiving these messages because they show up in the
> log
> which Fluid writes (-v option).
>
> If brightness is not supported, is there any chance that it could be in a
> future
> version?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gerald.

I'm not very familiar with this control myself.  What parameter of the
sound should this actually control?  Brightness doesn't seem that
descriptive to me, but I have a limited vocabulary when it comes to
musical terms.  I don't remember seeing this as part of the SoundFont
standard, which doesn't necessarily mean that it shouldn't be added to
FluidSynth though.  If you have any more details it might help in
answering your question better :)  Cheers.
        Josh Green