[fluid-dev] Clicking problems

From: John Matthews
Subject: [fluid-dev] Clicking problems
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 16:03:22 +0100

I use fluidsynth on a few different machines, and suffer from the following problem.

It all works fine on an m-audio card I have.

However, using the onboard sound on a via EPIA board, with the alsa drivers I get one click every time a note off is performed.  Note that if I allow the note to play out, and turn off by itself, the same doesn't seem to happen.

The problem also happens with the old oss drivers. And it happens in exactly the same way if I output sound from fluidsynth via jack.

Via provide an oss compatible binary driver on their website - this does not cause the clicking, although the latency is too poor to be useful (100s of milliseconds)

This may be a problem with the snd-via82xx alsa module, however it doesn't appear to happen with other programs (although to be honest, I don't use many).  And I have tried dxs_support=1,2,3,4, etc.  In fact I have been trying to solve this problem for a few years!

I would be very grateful for any suggestions,

John.