Re: [fluid-dev] sequencer / synth bug ?

From: Miguel Lobo
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] sequencer / synth bug ?
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 12:46:12 +0200

This looks like a design flaw to me. In an ideal world, the write_s16
function would check for pending events and trigger them at the right
_audio_ moment, thus matching the audio time and the real time. But
in the current fluidsynth, there is a fuzziness of about 512 samples,
i.e. 11ms. Which is a lot. And which could have an effect on other
audio events than very short notes.

I completely agree.  In fact, one of the reasons for the fork/redesign of FluidSynth I'm working on is moving from FluidSynth's synchronous API (where the synthesiser is controlled by calls happening at the time of their effect) to an event-based asynchronous API (where the synthesiser is controlled by a queue of timestamped events).

So, for example, instead of calling fluid_synth_noteon 10.56 ms into the song, you would queue a NOTE_ON event with a time of 10.56 ms and the synthesiser would take care of the timing.

It might still be a while before my fork is ready to be released, though.  Real life tends to get in the way ;-).

Regards,
Miguel