Re: [fluid-dev] Soundlayering w/ fluidsynth + qsynth

From: Edenyard
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Soundlayering w/ fluidsynth + qsynth
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 20:58:03 +0100

At last - a question that I think I can make a contribution to!

Lutz Morelater wrote:

I would like to do the following:

- press one single note on my keyboard,
- play several sounds at the same time on this channel triggered by my MIDI keyboard while doing that.

Recently I have converted an old electric organ into a powerful MIDI controller. The organ had/has groups of switches that I now want to use as "stops", as they were used before for switching sounds on one "channel" (keyboard).

Can I suggest that you go and have a look at something called 'Jorgan'. This was originally created by Sven Meier (I hope I've got his name right) to do more or less exactly what I think you're trying to do. The website appears to have changed since I last looked at it, but you could try going to http://jorgan.sourceforge.net/doku.php to start with. If that doesn't work, try a Google for Jorgan.

I rebuilt my very old Compton CH2 organ using Slackware, Jorgan and (of course!) Fluidsynth and the results are encouraging. There's still a lot of work to be done on getting the soundfont right but it's getting there slowly. I've got Fluid configured to provide 3 groups of 16 channels. Jorgan then uses one group of 16 for the Swell, one for the Great and one for the Pedal department. I have around 35 stops (including couplers) on the whole organ.

The only disadvantage to Jorgan is that it needs Java installed, which seems to make the system rather more bloated than I think it needs to be. There are (were) one or two other programs which were supposed to do a similar job to Jorgan. One seems to have died long ago and the other is very poorly supported - the author doesn't respond to questions and seems rather unhelpful. On the odd occasions that I had to ask for help with Jorgan when I was getting my system going, I found Sven to be very helpful.

        Hope that helps!

        Best wishes,

                Gerald.