Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI implementation chart, MIDI remote control for fs

From: S. Christian Collins
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI implementation chart, MIDI remote control for fs
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:24:08 -0500

Hi Lutz,

I know you can send reverb and chorus controls using controllers 91 and 93 respectively.  Each responds to values 0-127.  I don't know of a way of changing SF2 files through MIDI commands, though.  Out of curiosity, are you planning on using FluidSynth as a live controller (for a concert, as an example)?  I just performed my first concert with a FluidSynth-enabled "gigging box", and it went really well.  My setup is based on TinyFlux (a Linux distro designed for minimum RAM & CPU overhead) and automatically starts the following in order:
  • QjackCtl (Jack server w/ GUI)
  • Qsynth (FluidSynth w/ GUI) which loads my custom performance SoundFont bank
  • Rosegarden (automatically sets channels and tracks, with proper volume & effects levels)
My box is rather modest (Pentium III 800 w/ 384 MB RAM) but it does the job wonderfully and without any noticeable latency.  Once I finally get my website ready, I'll be putting up a how-to on this topic.

-~Chris

Lutz Morelater wrote:
Hi,

Can fluidsynth be controlled via MIDI in all aspects?

E.g., can I set chorus and reverb values by sending MIDI bytes from an
external MIDI controller to my notebook that runs fluidsynth?

Can I tell fluidsynth to load a particular SF2 file and set the channels etc.
for it using MIDI commands only?

All that might be visible in a MIDI implementation chart. Is there something
like that available for fluidsynth?

Thanks for any info here,
Lutz.