Re: minor FluidSynth sponsorship opportunity (Re: [fluid-dev] Tickets, p

From: josh
Subject: Re: minor FluidSynth sponsorship opportunity (Re: [fluid-dev] Tickets, project status, and 1.1.0)
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 17:00:07 -0700

Hello Kevin,

I did some research on these parameters by also looking at the source code. The FluidSynth C API differs as far as the allowable ranges for some reverb/chorus parameters in comparison to the command interface. This seems like a bug to me.

Notes:

- cho_set_nr is not Chorus delay from what I know. Its actually the number of Chorus "voices".

- rev_setlevel command takes -31.0 to 31.0 but the code clamps this value between 0.0 and 1.0, so that is the actual usable range.

- rev_setroomsize command takes 0.0 to <1.2. The actual value 1.2 seems to fail the test <1.2 for some reason (1.1999999 works for example, but 1.2 does not).

- fluid_revmodel_setroomsize, fluid_revmodel_setdamp, fluid_revmodel_setwidth do not check or clamp the input value. Setting values outside of the allowed command range, could lead to unexpected behavior.

- Max allowed chorus depth depends on sample rate of synth. 22050 = ~92.92, 44100 = ~46.46, 48000 = ~42.68, 96000 = ~21.34

default, min, max:

Gain: 0.2, 0.0, 10.0
Reverb Level: 0.9, 0.0, 1.0
Reverb roomsize: 0.2, 0.0, <1.2
Reverb damping: 0.0, 0.0, 1.0
Reverb width: 0.5, 0.0, 100.0
Chorus nr: 3, 0, 99
Chorus level: 2.0, 0.0, 10.0 (reasonable level is < 1.0)
Chorus speed: 0.3, >0.29, 5.0
Chorus depth: 8.0, 0.0, (depends on sample rate)
Chorus mode: FLUID_CHORUS_MOD_SINE

Seems like a bit of a mess to me. I think it would be nice to have individual FluidSynth settings parameters for these, then the valid range could be queried from the API. I added a ticket for this:
http://fluidsynth.resonance.org/trac/ticket/49

$25 would be most appreciated and was definitely an incentive to research this! You could send it to my paypal email address: address@hidden

Best regards,
Josh Green

Quoting Kevin Fishburne <address@hidden>:
       address@hidden wrote: Sponsorship would be an interesting
thing to look into.  Setting up paypal donations could also be good
or having a bounty system (users pledge an amount for a certain
task).  I have not yet seriously attempted making money at working on
free software, though it has consumed much of my time in the past 10
years.  The need to make an income definitely affects how much time I
have available for free software projects though, so receiving money
for working on FluidSynth would definitely give me more time to work
on it.
 On that note if anyone can correct/verify and fill in this table
I'll pay them $25 U.S. by whatever method they like. I pulled some
additional tentative values by issuing commands with various numbers
to a FluidSynth server daemon, which sometimes would reply with
"Values should be between x and y".

Also if anyone knows if these value ranges differ between the shell,
server, and API interfaces that would be extremely useful. I perused
the source code to the best of my ability and could only pull some
possible value ranges for these settings.

        EFFECT
 MEASUREMENT
 TYPE
 DEFAULT
 MINIMUM
 MAXIMUM
 COMMAND

        Gain

 float
 0.2
 0.0
 5.0
 gain x

        Reverb Level

 float
 3.0
 0.0
 < 31.0
 rev_setlevel x

        Reverb Room Size

 float
 0.84
 0.0
 1.0
 rev_setroomsize x

        Reverb Damping

 float
 0.2
 0.0
 1.0
 rev_setdamp x

        Reverb Width

 float
 1.0
 0.0
 100
 rev_setwidth x

        Chorus Level

 float

 0.0
 30.0
 cho_set_level x

        Chorus Delay
 Lines
 integer
 3
 0
 100
 cho_set_nr x

        Chorus Speed
 Hz
 float

0.29            5.0
 cho_set_speed x

        Chorus Depth
 ms
 float

 0.0
 10.0
 cho_set_depth x

I need this in order to finish a FluidSynth GUI and SoundFont
management app. It's already pretty much completed but I need to
adjust the slider value ranges so they are consistent with each other
and have sane defaults.

        KEVIN FISHBURNE

        Eight Virtues

        www: