[fluid-dev] audio processing stops on ubuntu karmic

From: Joshua Higgins
Subject: [fluid-dev] audio processing stops on ubuntu karmic
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 21:30:02 +0000

I'm using fluidsynth 1.0.9 (packaged with karmic) on an old lifebook b-series laptop. I have a very large Studiologic SL-880 midi controller, so i'm intergrating this laptop into the body of the keyboard, using fluidsynth for sound.
The PC is low spec: 500mhz with 192mb ram. I've bootstrapped Ubuntu Karmic on a 4gb CF card which fluidsynth is running off. Its using the realtime kernel, with jackd running with the --realtime parameter.

For normal playing, the performance is excellent. Jack seems to be stable, running with 512 frames and 2 periods yeilding a latency of 10.7ms.

However, if I press down lots of keys simulatenously, i.e. more than 3 octaves at once, the audio stops straight away with the error message on the console:

subgraph starting at fluidsynth timed out (subgraph_wait_fd=9, status = 0, state = Running, pollret = 0 revents = 0x0)
bad status (1) for client fluidsynth handing event (type = 8)

The strange thing is that both the jack server and fluidsynth are still running, just audio processing has stopped.

Can anyone shed any light on the situation? Is this computer just too slow?

Thanks.
--
joshua higgins