Re: [fluid-dev] Thread safety long-term thoughts

From: Ebrahim Mayat
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Thread safety long-term thoughts
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 12:53:56 -0500

On Nov 18, 2009, at 2:13 AM, David Henningsson wrote:

//

I'm not sure about the fifth (I/O procs) thread, is that something used internally by libraries we use? What does it do?

My sketchy idea about this is that this thread is kernel-related (at least on OS X); it is created by the hardware abstraction layer in order to manage driver notifications.

( On Linux, the picture is slightly different: Using the alsa audio driver, four threads are created while using jack five are created. )

Many thanks for your overall explanation. This is indeed food for thought.