RE: [fluid-dev] How to optimize Fluidsynth latency in Windows?

From: EarMaster - Hans Jakobsen
Subject: RE: [fluid-dev] How to optimize Fluidsynth latency in Windows?
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 17:04:37 +0200

Thank you Pedro. I have now measured the latency in Fluidsynth with two
different audio interfaces in 48 KHz:

1) Realtek audio, 26 periods x 64 samples = 35 ms
        The actual measured latency = 80 ms
2) Alesis io2 audio interface, 26 periods x 64 samples = 35 ms
        The actual measured latency = 55 ms

Even though the theoretical latency should be the same with the two audio
interfaces, the Realtek audio has an extra overhead of 25 ms compared to a
quality audio interface.

This is interesting, but I believe most of my users will have the standard
Realtek audio. If I could reduce the latency of the Realtek audio to 50 ms,
then I would be satisfied.
The question is if it is possible?

PS. I use version 1.0.9 of Fluidsynth because it is the only one I have an
interface for in Delphi. Are there any latency improvements in version 1.1.1 ?

Best regards,
Hans Jakobsen