Re: MIDI Bank Select proposal (was Re: [fluid-dev] Re: Son of ticket#65)

From: Jim Henry
Subject: Re: MIDI Bank Select proposal (was Re: [fluid-dev] Re: Son of ticket#65)
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 07:39:06 -0700

Again I am just making an observation regarding something I don't do so I could be completely off base. Is one of the uses of FluidSynth intended to be a MIDI file player that allows the use of sound fonts? If so, I think some of those who want to use it that way are likely to have little understanding of MIDI and no ability to alter the MIDI files or even know what is in them. They'll just want to load a sound font and the MIDI file and hear what they expect to hear. FS probably can't do that 100% but it needs to do the right thing most of the time or else it is going to get a "doesn't work" reputation and it will take a long time to shake that after the issue is fixed. The other alternative is to be very clear that FS isn't intended for casual playing of MIDI files. Trying to write software for use by the masses is really hard because it is so difficult to anticipate what they will try to do and to grasp the level of understanding or lack thereof. I do front line support of the Miditzer, which has a lot of users who know almost nothing about MIDI. The experience gives you a very different perspective on what software needs to be.

Jim Henry