Re: [fluid-dev] Are we release ready?

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Are we release ready?
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 12:30:42 +0200

2010-08-28 18:43, Bernd Casper skrev:
> Hi David,

Hi Bernd,

Thanks for testing, but please post these issues to the list instead of
privately to me, then more people could help analyzing and resolving
them. I took the liberty of cc:ing in the list on this one, I hope you
don't mind.

> not tested enough to be absolutely sure, but the jOrgan group is just
> researching a controller issue - CC91 (reverb) *seems* not to work in FS
> 1.1.2.
> Perhaps you could already help us, with providing a correct MIDI message
> sequence how to activate this controller in FS? Actually we're using 176 91
> [0 - 127].

Yes, the midi bytes seem correct to me. I have a working reverb
controller here - to test, I try "rev_preset 3" and a single note here,
and while it is sounding, I change the reverb control from 0 to 127 with
a shell command "cc 0 91 127". I then immediately notice a difference in
the sound. I've also noticed that the difference isn't *that* much,
especially if the soundfont has a lot of reverb from the start.

This seems to be according to the sf2 standard, and you should be able
to work around this by changing the default modulator (CC91 to reverb
send) and increase the "amount". The default is that the cc can change
the amount by max 0.2 (on a total scale between 0 and 1).

Can you please verify that this is working for you?

> Regarding the tickles I described in the earlier post - meanwhile I
> discovered, the tickling raises if the count of channels is set to more than
> appr. 48. Below this, no tickles.
> In the group only one other member had those effects, too, so it certainly
> seems to be a system resources dependent thing.
> Can you tell me more about, whether and how the count of channels influences
> the system resources, e.g. memory usage, please?

Hmm, could it be that you're getting an underrun?
Channel count should not affect the CPU and memory usage much, I believe.

// David