Re: [fluid-dev] Query: router_chan

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Query: router_chan
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 21:09:18 +0100

On Saturday 05 March 2011, Dave Serls wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 10:09:54 -0700
> Dave Serls <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> >  Returning to linux audio after a long hiatus.
> >
> >  If I use router_chan in a fluidsynth instance like this:
> >
> > # change note events for odd channels to ridiculous invalid channel
> > # note that channel nums are 0-relative in fluidsynth 1-relative on piano
> > router_begin note
> > router_chan 1  0 8 32
> > router_chan 3  0 8 32
> > router_chan 5  0 8 32
> > router_chan 7  0 8 32
> > router_chan 9  0 8 32
> > router_chan 11 0 8 32
> > router_chan 13 0 8 32
> > router_chan 15 0 8 32
> > router_end
> >
> >  I receive no errors.  But what really happens? It sounds pretty much OK.
> >
> >  The code only checks the resulting channel for less than 0, setting it to
> > 0 if so.
> >  If the channel has no preset -- does the event disappear?
> >  This is what I want, as I'm running 2 instances of fluidsynth, one
> > translating the even channels high,
> >  the other the odd ones.
> >  My Yamaha has a 'split' keyboard function which will send the left hand to
> > a channel 'paired' with
> >  the right hand on another adjacent even or odd channel.
> >
>   I will shamelessly reply to myself.
>   'router_chan 1 1 8 32' and lines for each odd/even channel will work.
>   Except for keyboard channels 1 and 2 which do not participate for some
> reason.
>   Warning messages are emitted from
>   fluidsynth: warning: Channel out of range
>   for each noteon for a channel from the 'wrong' instance.
>   Is there anyway of forcing a NULL preset to a channel?

This feature was introduced in FS 1.1.1 as a new API function
http://fluidsynth.sourceforge.net/api/index.html#NewIn1_1_1

The CLI program doesn't use it yet, as there is not any command for it. QSynth
OTOH uses it in the channel view, context menu (RMB). The presets for all
channels can be saved with a given name on disk.

>   Will that suppress the warnings?
>   Has anyone ever used the channel routing feature?

The MIDI router shouldn't be used for this.

Regards,
Pedro