Re: fluidsynth on Windows Was: Re: [fluid-dev] Rerouting output

From: mike
Subject: Re: fluidsynth on Windows Was: Re: [fluid-dev] Rerouting output
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 10:36:08 +0000

On 03/08/2011 10:19 AM, Felix Krause wrote:
On 08.03.2011, at 07:36, mike wrote:

On 03/08/2011 06:31 AM, Graham Goode wrote:

Hi Mike,

There is not a binary release of fluidsynth on Sourceforge other than
the one contained within the Qsynth installer (as far as I know).
Qsynth 3.5 comes with Fludisynth 1.1.1 (which was somewhat buggy
still) so I would recommend looking into compiling it for yourself
after experimenting with the available binary.

GrahamG

That's great.  I'll do that.  (Again I didn't realise Qsynth came with any version of FluidSynth.)  I assume that using MinGW is (far) preferable to using the Visual Studio C++ compiler (for fluidsynth), is that right?

Cheers again,
Mike

Hi Felix,
I use VC++ for building FluidSynth on Windows which does work, but has the problem that FluidSynth's CMake configuration needs a pkg-config present to generate the VC++ project. Without MinGW, you have to get a pkg-config binary and write / edit some .pc files for the dependencies yourself. However, it enables you to debug an application using FluidSynth as library with the VC debugger, which is quite nice, but doesn't apply in your case, so I would suggest to use MinGW.

Just in case I end up going the VC++ route at some point I assume the VC debugger is only available as part of some version of Visual Studio is that right?  The VC++ I looked into was the free Express version (simply need to register download in 30 or I guess you get cut off).
Cheers,
Felix

Cheers,
Mike