Re: [fluid-dev] SONAME Bump?

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] SONAME Bump?
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2011 16:40:02 +0200

On Saturday 06 August 2011, David Henningsson wrote:
> >> Is it something that alone calls for a new release (1.1.5) or can we
> >> just update svn? What implications does bumping the SONAME have?
> >
> > Changing the SONAME because this bug is too much a burden for everybody.
>
> Sorry, I'm not following: what burden would changing the SONAME be - is
> that just recompiling everything depending on libfluidsynth, or what?

Yes, it will trigger rebuilds and confusion among the developers and packagers,
and a bunch of package updates for the users. Most of the generated traffic
would be superfluous if it is only caused by this bug.

Because the SONAME is part of the file name of the runtime shared library, you
can keep several runtime shared libraries installed in the system at the same
time. Developers can only compile against a single version, because the linker
uses at linking time only the libfluidsynth.so symlink, and because there is
only one set of headers installed.

Regards,
Pedro