Re: [fluid-dev] Problem in fluidsynth (Ubuntu 11.10) still in Ubuntu 12.

From: Matt Giuca
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Problem in fluidsynth (Ubuntu 11.10) still in Ubuntu 12.04
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 13:46:59 +1000

The version in the of the PPA fix was "1.1.5-1ubuntu1-diwicppa", which is (I think) the same level number as the installed software (something like "1.1.5-2"?), so the updater may not think the fix is applicable (that the fix is older than the installed package).

Right, that is probably it. If you're interested, this is how Debian compares version numbers:
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-Version

Basically, it is compared lexicographically (dictionary order), except with numbers compared numerically, and ~ is special. In this case, it's simply the case that "1.1.5-2" is "newer" than "1.1.5-1...".

Note that the "-2" (anything after the hyphen) is NOT a new software version, but rather, a new package version of the same software. This means that if the fix has been put into the FluidSynth code trunk (and I'm not clear on whether it has), then it should automatically be included in 1.1.6. But in the mean-time, I wouldn't expect it to be in 1.1.5-2, because it means some Debian person has updated the package without including new software fixes, but inadvertently leap-frogged the version number over diwic's PPA version number. A temporary solution may be for diwic to bump his PPA version number to 1.1.5-2ubuntu1-diwicppa, or even 1.1.6~1ubuntu1-diwicppa (which will sort "newer" than all 1.1.5 packages, but "older" than 1.1.6 itself).