Re: [fluid-dev] Windows SoundFont VSTi's

From: S. Christian Collins
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Windows SoundFont VSTi's
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 11:24:14 -0500

On 10/31/2012 06:17 AM, Ebrahim Mayat wrote:
> Chris
>
> Have you tried Krzysztof Foltman's Calf LV2 plug-in which in addition
> to being a monophonic synthesizer and an organ simulator is also a SF2
> player ?
> <http://calf.sourceforge.net/index.html>
Unfortunately, since my workflow is now in Windows, I won't be able to
use that. It looks awesome, though.

For my scoring projects, I just purchased VSL Special Edition, which
requires a USB dongle to run. I am very against this kind of DRM, but it
is the only product that can accomplish what I want. I also own Komplete
8, which is an enormous collection of VST instruments. This,
unfortunately, locks me into Windows for any scoring projects I want to do.

You know, you always hear people complain about all of the things they
would miss moving their workflow from Windows to Linux. However, for me,
the reverse is true. I miss Fluidsynth as a low-latency plugin, and I
miss it badly. I also miss a stable ZynAddSubFx and a functioning
LinuxSampler; no matter what I try, I cannot get the LinuxSampler VSTi
to work on either my desktop or my laptop. And then there's Jamin, my
favorite mastering tool. I still boot back into Linux for the mastering
stage of my mixes, because Jamin gives me better results than any of the
VST multiband compressors I have.

-~Chris