Re: [fluid-dev] Continuous controllers

From: jean-jacques.ceresa
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Continuous controllers
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 11:40:43 +0200

Hi, Ben
>Q1: Is the modulator best applied at the Instrument or Preset level?
Instrument Level (as indicated in the document posted with the patch).

>Q2: I can't find "Initial attenuation" as a destination, only "attenuation" I assume they are different? No, in SF2.01 there are only one generator to control dynamic it is named "Inital Attenuation". This is the "Attenuation" considered by the synthesizer at noteOn time (assuming a value velocity 127). Once the note is started, this Attenuation value can be modulated by another source (i.e breath controler) if this modulator is present in the soundfont.

>Q3: What does the "amount controller" do?
Amount is a modulator parameter,in short it will works like that.
- Ouput modulator = Input source (i.e Breath CC value) x amount.
- Input Destination generator (i.e attenuation) = Output modulator.
For example, with a amount of 960 (cB), an input source range from [0 to 127] will be mapped to attenution range [960 to 0]. To get this result put theses others useful modulator parameters: Shape: concave, Polarity: unipolar, Direction: negative.

jjc

Le 23/06/2016 08:38, Ben Gonzales a écrit :
Thanks.

Note: I get 2 duplicate messages from you. Is it me or you?

Q1: Is the modulator best applied at the Instrument or Preset level?

Q2: I can't find "Initial attenuation" as a destination, only "attenuation" I assume they are different?

Q3: What does the "amount controller" do?

Ben

On 23/06/16 16:12, S. Christian Collins wrote:
Yes, "initial attenuation" with the amount "960" (the measurement is in centiBels).

-~Chris

On 06/23/2016 12:37 AM, Ben Gonzales wrote:
Hi Chris.

Aha! You sound like someone who might know what to do... I was in the process of working my way through how to do that particular modulator addition. Using SWAMI I'd figured out the concave unipolar negative curve with CC2 as the source, and figured that it should drive the volume attenuation, but couldn't work out what the amount source controller does. SWAMI appears to give the facility to multiply the source controller by the amount source controller by the amount. But I don't see why you need an amount source controller, or what controller you'd use.

I see also that JJ Ceresa has just put in a patch for legato which mentions the "initial attenuation". That sounds like it would be a good target too.

Can you offer any advice?

Ben

On 23/06/16 15:16, S. Christian Collins wrote:
I already responded to your question to the group on this matter. Did you not see it? There is no default modulator in the SoundFont spec for CC #2 (breath controller), so support must be added to the SoundFont preset itself using a modulator (CC#2 to attenuation, 96 dB using concave negative unipolar curve). Either that or use a MIDI routing program to filter all CC #2 messages to CC #11 instead, since the SoundFont spec does feature a default modulator that makes CC #11 control the instrument's volume.

-~Chris

On 06/22/2016 10:52 PM, FenderBenders wrote:
Would it be possible to implement continuous controller #2 (breath control) in fluidsynth.
Sent from Samsung mobile