Re: [fluid-dev] ?==?utf-8?q? Cannot run fluidsynth with ALSA

From: Ralf Mattes
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] ?==?utf-8?q? Cannot run fluidsynth with ALSA
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2017 16:53:24 +0200

Am Mittwoch, 06. September 2017 16:33 CEST, mike <address@hidden> schrieb:

> Hello,
>
> I cannot run fluidsynth using ALSA
>
> A few details:
>
> Platform: Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS, x86_64
> fluidsynth: 1.1.7
> cmake: cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -Denable-ladspa=1
>
> cmake yields :
> Build type:            RelWithDebInfo
> libsndfile:            no (raw audio file rendering only)
> D-Bus:                 no
> PulseAudio:            no
> JACK:                  no
> ALSA:                  no
> PortAudio:             no
> OSS:                   yes
> MidiShare:             no
> CoreAudio:             no
> CoreMIDI:              no
> Windows:               no
> LADSPA support:        no
> LASH support:          no
> LADCCA support:        no
> OS/2 DART support:     no
> Audio to file driver:  yes
> IPV6 Support :         yes
> Readline:              no
> Samples type=float:    no (using double)
> Profiling:             no
> Debug:                 no
> Trap on FPE (debug):   no
> Check FPE (debug):     no

So you only have the Audio File driver available. No ALSA support.

> cmake does not complain about finding ALSA, and will yield the same even
> if I change -Denable-ladspa=1 to -Denable-alsa=1

Why should cmake complain about finding alsa?
Do you have the alsa development files installed?
On a Ubuntu system you need to install libasound2-dev

> after a successful 'make':
>
> ./fluidsynth -a alsa FluidR3_GM.sf2 LUTE.mid
> yielded : fluidsynth: error: Couldn't find the requested audio driver
> alsa. Valid drivers are: file, oss.
>
> ./fluidsynth -a file FluidR3_GM.sf2 LUTE.mid
> yielded : fluidsynth.raw, which was playable by Audacity. Also
> complained about MIDI.

Well, it looks as if cmake couldn't build the alsa backend, most likely because
the alsa
headers aren't installed.

 Happy luting,

 Ralf Mattes