Re: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth bank select

From: Tom M.
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth bank select
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2018 20:47:38 +0100

> If a selected bank does not exist it (appears to) ignore the command to
> change bank and does not give any error.

fluid_synth_bank_select() is never ignored, it always sets the midi channel to
the specified bank, also if it doesnt exist in your soundfont. Whether the
instrument later assigned to this channel also belongs to the selected bank,
depends on whether the soundfont provides the required preset on this bank. We
cannot reliably check whether the bank select was "successful" because at the
time calling fluid_synth_bank_select() we dont know what preset (i.e. program
number) will be used on that channel. Similarly fluid_synth_set_bank_offset()
doesnt give you an error, if you set it to an offset of -200 while this bank
doesnt exist in your soundfont. If you need such a check, you should use
fluid_synth_program_select().

Tom