Re: [fluid-dev] Proposal for a new feature: lazy-loading of SoundFonts

From: Tom M.
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Proposal for a new feature: lazy-loading of SoundFonts
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2018 20:37:14 +0200

Sorry, I think it's a hack. Dynamic sample loading is implemented in a way to
allow the synth to control when to load or unload presets and samples.
Introducing this fluid_defpreset_t::loaded_manually flag overrides the synth's
authority. Instead the midi player gets in charge of that.

If sample preloading really is needed, I think control of it should be properly
exposed to the user via the synth API, in order to enable all users (even those
not using the midi player) to profit from that as well. This is not done
trivially.

I dont need this feature, you dont need it either. Unless someone else speaks
up expressing a need for it, I would vote for not implementing it.
Nevertheless, thanks for your efforts providing an example implementation.

Tom