[fluid-dev] Low Latency audio with RPi 3

From: Christopher Leger
Subject: [fluid-dev] Low Latency audio with RPi 3
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2018 22:56:59 -0400

Hi,

So I decided to try using a USB soundcard with my RPi 3 to get lower latency, and higher quality output but it seems that it is in fact higher latency. When using the card I get the message:

fluidsynth: warning: Requested a period size of 64, got 940 instead

With the audio jack on the RPi I get:

fluidsynth: warning: Requested a period size of 64, got 256 instead

I notice that the sound card is slow because I have special effects firing off of the RPi's GPIO ports and I can see that the effects fire a split second before the actual sound. This is disappointing :/. With the audio jack built in to the RPi it is better but I would like to reduce the latency as much as possible.

Here is the USB sound card I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072BMG9TB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any advice?

Thanks,