francine-dev

[Francine-dev] cowardly beholder

From: Ethel Gutierrez
Subject: [Francine-dev] cowardly beholder
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 22:11:57 -0200

He bears a womans name,but he is not womanish. Darking was speaking and every facewas turned to him. No light showed, but as they rounded the end of it thesound of human speech came from within. A girl was singing, and by some strange wizardry thevoice was familiar.
Let usmake haste before the storm breaks.
Tonight I have something to give you andsomething to ask from you.
The tankards beside the dying fire were refilled and the fiddlewoke.
The boy raised the flap of the frieze curtain and they entered thebarn.
There is a place in the heart of it calledLittle Greece, where we shall meet with company. A dozen crofts were sacrificed tomake my lords park.
A pole was suddenly thrust from the covert athwart Darkingsbreast, and he stopped in his tracks. Such a bed he hadnever known, for he seemed to sink deep in down and yet float onair.
The hour of the summons is near, he said, and soon the lad willbe out of our care.
Darking laughed, as he wrungthe wet from his cap.
Only a sonof Buckingham can keep such a concourse to its purpose. No doubt it was only the effect ofOctober ale, but it looked like profound meditation.
It was seductive music,languorous, rousing strange tremors in his body.
Let usmake haste before the storm breaks.
But if the King has bled the land sore, will there be anyrecompense for those who overthrow him?
He is alongheaded rogue with a shrewd judgment, and, except in his trade,a certain honesty. He is under as strict rulesas any soldier of an army. We have been benefactors toeach other, I think. There are plenty of foot-sentinels, but tis thecaptain that matters.
The question will be asked, How far is it to the skirts ofWychwood? The tankards beside the dying fire were refilled and the fiddlewoke. You have set your finger on our weakness.