fsfe-uk

Re: [Fsfe-uk] The threat of a good example continued

From: Marc Eberhard
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] The threat of a good example continued
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 10:45:40 +0100

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 10:22:55AM +0100, Andrew Savory wrote:
> Not :-( but :-) ... it's the best thing that could have happened. Moving
> to free software on the mistaken assumption that you can do away with IT
> budgets is the worst possible thing that can happen.

... seems schoolforge currently concentrates on the cost argument. :-(

> It seems the mexicans are trying again, but this time with a working
> business model.

But it's indeed good news, that Mexico didn't give up! :-) Do you have any
URLs at hand? We could link that on the AFFS site with the stuff from Peru.

I'm just thinking of a nice comparison in terms of the business model
understandable for MPs:

Free Software is a real investment, because the available source code grows
as money is invested. However, you start from zero (or probably more, given
the already available amount of free source code) and build up your later
capital continously. Proprietary software on the other side is like an
interest only mortgage. As soon as you terminate the licence agreement, you
have to return everything. It's just like borrowed money for some time. Does
that make sense? Is this comparison stupid? Would an average MP understand
that?

Bye,
Marc

email: address@hidden