fsfe-uk

Re: [Fsfe-uk] Free software book?

From: Ciaran O'Riordan
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Free software book?
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 02:18:46 +0000

"Jon Grant" <address@hidden> writes:
> Other than those two (I've read Sam's, that was good):

I liked Rebel Code, by Glyn Moody.  It was published in 2001, but it's
mostly about the history of the free software movement, so it's not really
the sort of thing that gets out of date.

And "Open Sources Voices from the Open Source Revolution", was interesting,
also from a historical point of view (published in 1999).  There's a lot of
"open source" thinking, so I wouldn't recommend it as an introduction to the
topic of free software, but for someone who already understands free
software, this has some interesting essays.  (Stallman's in there, as is
Perens, and Michael Tiemann about Cygnus Solutions.)

More pointers can be found (and added) here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_free_software

> Cathedral and the Bazaar ?

Bleh.  From what I've heard, it's not good.

--
CiarĂ¡n O'Riordan __________________ \ Support Free Software and GNU/Linux
http://ciaran.compsoc.com/ _________ \     Join FSFE's Fellowship: