gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] plugins

From: Piotr Eljasiak
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] plugins
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 15:38:37 +0200

> How about this ?
>
> http://developer.gimp.org/writing-a-plug-in/1/index.html

This is very similar mechanism to the one currently used by gcmd, but
unfortunately it requires writing plugins in plain C... What I'd like
gcmd to be is that the plugins could be written by end users. This
implies that plugin system has to be simple enough to allow scripting
without knowing deep gcmd internals.

The solution is python plugins - as a high level language python easily
allows scripting. Additional bonus is availability of many python
extensions. Generally it's much easier and faster to write plugins in
python.

At the moment I'm adopting gedit plugins system (some info can be found
here: http://live.gnome.org/Gedit/PythonPluginHowTo) for gcmd and I am
sure it'll result in even much simpler plugin API :o)

Piotr