gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] another one little usability issue

From: Michael
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] another one little usability issue
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 16:17:41 +0200

Antono,

As a workaround you can try the 'Home' key (also called Pos1, the one that
moves the cursor to the top position e.g. in text documents or excel sheets, it
use to be around the page-up/down keys) that brings the focus back.

rev 1209 has no focus initially, here. It gets focus when i <tab> to right
pane, but still has none in the left pane when i switch back.

I think it's a bug in interaction with windowmanager (is that still gtk?) about
how initial window settings are interpreted.

We should be aware that there is a great variety of windowmanagers for linux,
like the KDE one, enlightenment, fvwm...the price is that there's some lack of
compatibility, and we would have to find out a failsafe way to do it. I run
wmaker and that's rather far away from gnome-sawfish.

A good start may be Gimp again, the window management settings in Preferences
(see screenshot). As you can see they use 'hint' feature (normal/utility) and
explicitly activate the focused window. Maybe worth a look.

As a user, i can adjust class specific settings to not let the window bind
keyboard or mouse, but there's no way to say 'force focus'. It is possible with
the KDE one, though, and maybe i could set up  something in ~/.Xresources. But
it should be done by gcmd itself of course.
Related issue may be that under KDE, inline renaming with SHIFT F6 doesn't get
focus, but it does under wmaker.