gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] some ideas :))

From: Michael
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] some ideas :))
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 23:55:45 +0200

Antono:

> I means nautilus-actions addon.

Uh i see. I didn't knew that - only using nautilus very rarely, and only to
check gcmd related issues :)

It looks pretty much like gcmd fav-apps. Your question is fully justified.
(I even wonder if they got the template from us ;)
It would be great to have actions in a shared
~/.local/share/filemanager/actions or so.

nautilus stores the actions under /.gconf/apps/nautilus-actions/configurations
in a subfolder encoded like "7de0e77b-a1d8-42f1-a8c4-0103c1fc2c37" (probably a
typical gconf ID) in xml.
That's not compatible to gcmd :( It'S also not in the spirit of freedesktop
policy (or do we really want to copy the Win$ Registry ?) which seems to opt
for easy-to-manage simple plain textfiles in a filesystem hierarchy. Finally,
the only solid-as-rock thing.

If you bother, then please would you drop a note to address@hidden ?
The point is, it's quite some work for users to create a set of 'actions' and
not being portable is not user-friendly. Yea, they don't want them to move to
KDE -- but OTOH, in turn  it makes moving to Gnome more comfortable no ?

> Is there any possibility add my actions to meny only in some complex
> contexts? For example i would like to have some actions for dir if it
> contains .svn or _darcs subdirs.

The 'Show for' choices is all there is, and there's nothing to detect subdirs.
Well, look, i think if it gets such sophisticated then there's find and xargs.

Greets, micha

ps. I have a nice collection of commandline scripts for complex tasks where i
don't want to type in long command sequences. I also aggregated many useful
tasks in a 'gnome-commander-tools' script which is my wrapper for all fav-apps
i configure in gcmd. If you are interested just ask in private mail.