gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Re: Gnome Commander Treeview

From: Michael
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Re: Gnome Commander Treeview
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 02:54:11 +0200

 gwr,

>   Hi to all,
> >
> > Intersted in that : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISfzGjapXqw   ?
> >
> > My preference goes to twin panels file managers, but it is always
> > boring to have to navigate throug directories using the ".."
> > pseudo-directory.

But tree view is also tedious, if you have ugly lots of folders in deep
hierarchy.

Usually you have several 'nervous knots' or highway crossings or hotspots, from
where you can get to your daily work fast. For example, some coding folder,
then your music folders, and your real-world office shit. It would be much
better to go straight to such a nervous know (may we call it 'ganglion' ?) than
to scroll through a large treeview and brain-process many folder names until
you find what you need.

Then you need bookmarks, or even better (because faster!) you set up bookmark
icons which you can click in the toolbar and you could assign a keyboard
shortcut too. (by now, only misused device icons are possibly, but this works
well)

I set up all my ganglions as such icons. I simply use colored squares because i
can remember colors well. Right now i happen to use krusader and konqueror
again, temporarily, to see what they implemented and how good they are,
meanwhile; and although konq for example has treeview, and both have bookmarks,
switching away from my customized gcmd causes my workflow immediately to slow
down by at least 200%. They just don't have _that_, big colored teletubby
buttons.