gcmd-devel

[gcmd-dev] Further Gnome Commander development

From: Christian Mallwitz
Subject: [gcmd-dev] Further Gnome Commander development
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 16:01:41 +0000

Hi guys,

I wonder what is needed to revive further development of Gnome Commander.

Having tried to patch a few thing myself I see the fact Gnome
Commander is implemented in C/C++ as it's biggest problem to attract
more interest and implement any major change like Gnome 3 support or
archive browsing. Plug-in development already moves away from C/C++ by
providing a Python interface.

If you would ask me I would think Gnome Commander needs a completely
fresh start: e.g. call it Gnome Commander 3, implement it Python using
the latest PyGObject. What is folk's background on the gcmd-devel list
in terms of Python and PyGObject? I have seen it being used for some
Ubuntu applications (e.g. Software Centre itself). Out of interested I
dabbled a bit with PyGObject already - I assume to properly get
started one would start with a new GIT repository on git.gnome.com?

What are your thoughts?

Cheers
Christian