gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] gcmd - where to start

From: Christian Mallwitz
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] gcmd - where to start
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 20:44:57 +0100

Hi,

I think it would be terrific if we can get an update for gcmd build
and published but I have two major concerns:

1) gcmd is using Gnome 2 which is _really_ outdated - without a major
rewrite we will never properly integrate with a Gnome 3 desktop (of
any flavour) which leads to

2) C++ as implementation language - it reduces the number of people
willing to contribute from maybe 10 to 1-2 actually being able to.
There are major pieces of Gnome 3 software implemented in Python and
PyGObject and if we would go down this route I suspect there are many
more people able to supply a quick bug fix.

Cheers
Christian