gdsl-general

[gdsl-general] Re: spec file for gdsl

From: Torsten Luettgert
Subject: [gdsl-general] Re: spec file for gdsl
Date: 21 Feb 2003 12:33:43 +0100

On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 10:58, Nicolas Darnis wrote:
> Le 20.02.2003 20:06, Torsten Luettgert a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just wrote a RedHat/SuSE style .spec file for your gdsl library.
> > You can add it to the distribution, if you like. It's attached to
> > this mail.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> But I don't have time now to learn how this file must be used. For what
> usage is it for? To create a RPM package (it could be great)? Please
> tell me because I don't have time to learn this...

Yes, it's exactly for this - making RPM files. You can just add it to
the source tarball (doesn't really matter where inside - most people
just put it on the top level, i.e. gdsl-1.0/gdsl.spec), and then a
simple

rpmbuild -ta gdsl-1.0.tar.bz2

will create gdsl-1.0-1.src.rpm, gdsl-1.0-1.i386.rpm and
gdsl-devel-1.0-1.i386.rpm (assuming you're running on i386 platform).

The gdsl RPM contains just the shared lib (and links to it), the
gdsl-devel has headers, manpages and static lib.

> > p.s.:
> > Has development on gdsl ceased? There doesn't seem to be any traffic
>
> Definitely NO! The development of GDSL has not ceased. The 1.1 version
> is quite ready: you could see the actual changes since the 1.0 by
> looking at the NEWS file:

That's good to hear (or, rather, read :-)

> http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/gdsl/gdsl/NEWS?rev=1.5&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
>
> When GDSL 1.1 is released, a mail will be send to gdsl-announce mailing
> list.
>
> > on the mailing lists or any releases since quite a while :-(
>
> You're right. In fact GDSL 1.0 was sufficient for my actual own devs
> and I used it for other devs (CFL for example). I wrote also LWL
> which I need for my work. So GDSL didn't advance during this
> period. I'm now ready to finalize 1.1 version.
>
> > Or is it just perfect like it is and doesn't need any further
> > development? ;-)
>
> Of course it's perfect! ;^) Seriously, it's of course not perfect.
> I'm not proud of the hash and heap modules. They will be extended
> in the future (with maybe a little incompatible change in hash module).
> I plan also to add an efficient symbol-table module.
>
> You can make any suggestion to the gdsl-general mailing list.
>
> Best regards,
>
> PS: please consider sending your mails about GDSL to the gdsl-general
> mailing list. By this way everybody could learn more about it.

Will do, starting with this reply (that's why I left all that stuff in).

Cheers,
Torsten <address@hidden>