glug-nith-discuss

[Glug-nith-discuss] introduction and scientific computing with python

From: Goudar Vishwanathappa Manu
Subject: [Glug-nith-discuss] introduction and scientific computing with python
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 20:45:54 +0530

Hello guys,
    Now a days Python is becoming very famous for scientific
computing. There are many reasons for this. Here in Aerospace
department(IIT Bombay) numerical analysis programming is done in
Python whereas in our college we are thought Fortran. If one
interested in scientific computing like in CFD, I think you need to
start learning Python. Python has good development community for
developing scientific tools. Here are some links where python is
used(there are many i found these interesting for me)
1. Computational Mathematical Modeling software
"http://www.fenics.org/wiki/FEniCS_Project";
2. Mayavi  "https://svn.enthought.com/enthought/wiki/MayaVi";

I would like to say that the documentation in Python's official site
is good enough for learning python. I would like to share some more
things
Some course notes given by Prof. Prabhu Ramachandran aerospace dept,
IITB "http://www.aero.iitb.ac.in/~prabhu/tmp/python_cep07/";. These
notes are from short term course on scientific computing
(http://ekalavya.it.iitb.ac.in/python_course.do).

Some tutorials provided by University of Cambridge over numerical programming.
"http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/courses/NumericalPython/";. You can
find many other useful things on the left of this page :).

Regards
--
G V Manu