glug-nith-discuss

Re: [Glug-nith-discuss] Maps and C++

From: Debarshi Ray
Subject: Re: [Glug-nith-discuss] Maps and C++
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 09:30:45 +0300

> Yes Sir, I am interested. I went through the links you provided. I have not
> worked on any open source project before, and have never used Git, I hope
> that would not be a problem.

It is basically about trying to provide C++ bindings to a C library.
In this case the C library is libchamplain[1] which has recently been
used to create Emerillon[2]. Now a binding is something which allows
you to use a library written in language A from language B. eg., Gtk
is written in C and PyGtk is a binding which lets you use it from
Python. Similarly libchamplain needs a set of set of C++ bindings.

Right now you can browse through the libchamplain[3] and
libchamplainmm[4] source trees and try to get familiar with
GObject[5]. In simple terms, GObject is a framework which allows you
to write object oriented programs in C.

In case you have difficulty cloning from Git[6] from behind the
college's proxy, let me know. In any case, Git is distributed so we
can always work something out.

These days libchamplain use Clutter 1.0 which may not be shipped by
most of the stable GNU/Linux distributions around. Fedora 12 will have
it, but is yet to be released. I personally use Rawhide[7]. You can
either update your primary installation or use a VM[8].

Happy hacking,
Debarshi

[1] http://projects.gnome.org/libchamplain/
[2] http://www.novopia.com/emerillon/
[3] http://git.gnome.org/cgit/libchamplain
[4] http://git.gnome.org/cgit/libchamplainmm
[5] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GObject
[6] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git_(software)
[7] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/Rawhide
[8] http://virt-manager.et.redhat.com/index.html
--
One reason that life is complex is that it has a real part and an
imaginary part.