gm2

Re: Latest GM2 binaries try to open /dev/tty (which is not always avaiab

From: Rudolf Schubert
Subject: Re: Latest GM2 binaries try to open /dev/tty (which is not always avaiable!)
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 17:01:25 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 16 May 2023, Gaius Mulley wrote:

> Rudolf Schubert <rudolf@muc.de> writes:
>
> > Hi Gaius,
> >
> > I recently noticed that my cgi 'stops before it really starts'.
> > In the web server's error log I find this line:
> >
> > unable to open /dev/tty: No such device or address
> >
> > So I made an strace and near program start I find this line:
> >
> > openat(AT_FDCWD, "/dev/tty", O_RDONLY)  = 3
> >
> > I did not change my code so this behaviour must have been introduced by
> > some change in other places. Is there an 'urgent' reason for this change?
>
> Hi Rudolf,
>
> many thanks for the email.  I'm not yet sure of why a recent change
> opens /dev/tty, however I did apply a bool/int patch to KeyBoardLEDs.cc
> which is suspicious...  I've revisited that code (and also
> TimerHandler.mod) and changed these modules to no longer open /dev/tty
> (for LED switching diagnostics).
>
> Anyway here is a patch - which I'll apply if the bootstrap is
> successful.  I'm curious if the patch fixes the bug you've reported.
> I'm slightly optimistic that the patch might also fix regression test
> timeouts which have been reported by other users (but alas I don't see
> on my testing infrastructure)
>
> regards,
> Gaius

Hi Gaius,

now it's looking MUCH BETTER! No problems any more with /dev/tty and
also another thing seems solved now. You mentioned timeouts reported by
other users. Some time ago I noticed (and reported) that output seemed to be
very slow. I then thought the reason might have been that with strace I
saw many single writes with GM2 whereas with GPM my writes came in chunks
of several bytes. But maybe this difference (single bytes - chunks of bytes)
was not the real reason but you have now fixed it with your patch?

Anyway things are running fine now, thank you very much!

BR

Rudolf

--
Rudolf Schubert                 \