gm2

Unicode I/O for GM2

From: Alice Osako
Subject: Unicode I/O for GM2
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 22:42:02 -0400

I am trying to find a suitable way to approach both file and console I/O for my UNICODE library, and I am concerned that - especially regarding console I/O - I may have to write some sort of external C module which would be accessed by FFI in some manner, which would act as a wrapper around the wchar_t functions and handle the transitions to and from the Unicode character types.

This is concerning, as I would rather find a native Modula-2 solution if possible, but in this instance I don't see a way to do so. Most of the existing I/O operations for numbers auto-convert the values into numeric text strings; the only exception to this is the ISO RawIO and SRawIO libraries.

Unfortunately, while I tried to use [S]RawIO to implement ReadUtf8Buffer and WriteUtf8Buffer, it didn't have the desired behavior with console output. I've checked in the two experimental procedures, if anyone is curious, but the salient point is that it doesn't work as intended. In any case, it would have been specific to ISO support.

Any advice would be appreciated.