gm2

Re: Modula-2 generics, exceptions, and optional parameters - how widely

From: Alice Osako
Subject: Re: Modula-2 generics, exceptions, and optional parameters - how widely supported?
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 10:53:58 -0400

I was going to write a long diatribe on the subject of textual-replacement macros vs. lexical macros, but none of that is really relevant. I don't especially like the idea of embedding preprocessor directives in comments,  but it is what is available so it will have to do.

I'm not entirely comfortable with using an external preprocessor that is not part of the language standard (the way cpp is for C and C++ - I have my issues with the execrable design of cpp itself, but that's not the point), though the situation isn't really any different from using a 3rd-party library. I will see what I can do using M2PP.

Regarding exceptions, the need to test for them would only come up in ISO code, so the section for handling those assertions could be gated off.

As for optional parameters, I have only one use case for that in this instance and can work around their absence.