gnewsense-art

Re: [gNewSense-art] [Gnewsense-dev] Greetings, and a small project?

From: George Roberge
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-art] [Gnewsense-dev] Greetings, and a small project?
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2014 20:49:14 -0400

On Mon, 2014-03-31 at 21:14 -0400, George Roberge wrote:
On Sun, 2014-03-30 at 15:38 -0500, Felipe López wrote:

On Mar 30, 2014, at 10:55, Felipe López <address@hidden> wrote:

Hello, all.

I have made some adjustments to the brochure template.  It's amazing what a little sleep and Inkscape can do!

I don't know a better tool for these kinds of things. I use Inkscape for almost everything I do. I haven't tried Scribus, though.

I kept to the theme of the website when I made the background (I can't hit the site again, and I don't know why).  I could not change the pictures in the inside of the brochure yet, but I will when I can copy them from the site.  I may just take a couple of screenshots of my own PC to keep it simple.

It's not just you. The website has been unusable all this week.

I think this version adds a little professional touch to it, but will make it a beast to print without an edge-to-edge printer; I did not try to print it again from my Canon inkjet printer.  I did keep the edges of the text, etc. at 1/4" just in case.

Anyhow, I'm out of time for today.  I hope everyone likes it!  I did not put the source of these up yet, since it's changing every day.

http://www.andforthelamb.org/docs/gNewSenseBrochureInside.pdf
http://www.andforthelamb.org/docs/gNewSenseBrochureOutside.pdf

Very nice change. I'd change just one thing, though: I'd remove the strokes on gNewSense logo.

Thank you.  I like it as well.  I'm going to try printing it on a color laser at work to see how to looks because the output on my printer was marginal.  It'd be slick if I could get a deal on printing from a printer.

One thing: what are the "strokes"?

It's Inkscape terminology to refer to the line that surrounds a shape. A shape is composed of stroke and fill. In the brochure, I'd remove the black stroke from the logo.

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo

http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/

OK, I have what I believe to be a close-enough-to-be-called-finished brochure.  It is in two files because I frankly don't know how to turn the print upside down to print both sides with one Print command.

http://www.andforthelamb.org/docs/gNewSenseBrochureOutsideWhiteHalfInch.pdf
http://www.andforthelamb.org/docs/gNewSenseBrochureInsideWhiteHalfInch.pdf

The outside file PDF contains a couple of stripes in the PDF but not the real document.

I am still keeping the white-on-dark-background version that I was testing before for another day, but I need to be realistic with the printing; I don't want to bankrupt myself printing a full-color brochure, and I'm not sure that my printer will print borderless, anyhow.  When I did print the dark brochure to another printer, the brochure printed with 1/4" margins, and I thought that looked a little silly.  Otherwise, I'd go with the dark brochure for a flashy brochure.  This brochure version has 1/2" borders, which I remember being on some (perhaps older?) printers.  I figured that it's better to be safe with the design for now.  Once I upload the originals, people can do what they want with the borders.

The links above are a compromise between the full-color version and the more bland white version.  This version is a little more realistic for an Average Joe like myself to print out without needing a second job!  I moved the inside graphics a little so that they wouldn't be wrecked by the fold, and added the Four Freedoms for...no apparent reason, really...LOL.

Anyhow, if whoever is in charge of graphics and/or publishing likes this brochure, I'll see if I can print this version out to bring with me to the GNU/Linuxfest this weekend.

Take care,
George R.
Greetings, and this brochure is a wrap, unless anyone has an issue with it:
http://www.andforthelamb.org/docs/gNewSenseCompleteBrochureWhite.pdf

As I mentioned before, I finished the "white" brochure because it's a bit easier on the wallet ink-wise.  I also combined pages one and two because I figured out the two-sided printing on my printer (I know- it's a little embarrassing, but I never needed to know how to do it).  As before, if you think I should fix anything, please let me know.

I think this one will be a "go" for the GNU/Linuxfest this weekend.  I'm going to see if I can score some printing where I work; otherwise I'll probably price out some local print shops.

Take care,
George R.
--
George Roberge
www.andforthelamb.org

Computers are like air conditioners: both stop working
when you open Windows.