gnu-linux-libre

Re: [GNU-linux-libre] question about GNU FSDG compliance process

From: bill-auger
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] question about GNU FSDG compliance process
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2019 12:06:18 -0500

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 12:24:47 +0100 Giovanni wrote:
> should be updated, since there "The List" is called "Software
> blacklist"

i agree it should be changed - that wiki page has not been updated in a
long time - my suggestion was the "blacklist rescue list"

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 12:24:47 +0100 Giovanni wrote:
> and should be open to be reviwed if someone finds a way to liberate
> one of the listed software

absolutely, that is exactly what we are trying to do - unfortunately,
the only people who have claimed to liberate it to date, have not
yet shared their recipe with us; so there is nothing yet to review

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 12:24:47 +0100 Giovanni wrote:
> this is in direct contraddiction with the concept of "the list is not
> a blacklist"

no contradiction at all - these are my very words:
> > a blacklist implies that something is to be shunned, and permanently
> > so - the main point of that list is not only to point out programs
> > that have known problems, but more importantly to offer known
> > recipes for how they can be liberated and used in freedom

the only reason that the chromium entry is *essentially* blacklisted is
because there is currently no known liberation procedure - everyone is
hoping that someday one will be found and submitted to the group for
review - when that day arrives, and if the proposed liberation
procedure is agreed upon, by consensus, to be FSDG-compliant, then the
list entry can be updated to recommend that known liberation procedure

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 12:24:47 +0100 Giovanni wrote:
> _word_ (chromium-browser) included in "The List" is even more
> embarrassing

the 'chromium-browser' has been shown to bee non FSDG-free
on multiple counts, definitively and repeatedly - just yesterday in a
very cursory review, jason point out like three different things that
are clearly not FSDG-free - there is no doubt ion anyone's mind that it
belongs on the list