gnu-linux-libre

Re: [GNU-linux-libre] third-party package managers

From: bill-auger
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] third-party package managers
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 01:31:19 -0400

> We would like to start with one of the easy targets

ah, but you did not - you started with the most challenging example (rust/cargo)

i suppose that is great; because that work is being done (AFAIK) by no one in
this work-group - if they succeed, all the better for us - maybe we can ignore
rust for a while and simply accept the GNU team's solution

o/c what would be even better? .... if those people would then join us on this
mailing list to tackle the other dozens of examples

On Wed, 12 Jul 2023 22:02:30 -0400 Richard wrote:
> Would a few of you like to form a committee to choose one?  I think
> that would be useful.  You could have discussions on another list
> specifically for this.

this work-group already is that committee, de-facto - it was formed for exactly
this sort of work - appointments are not needed, only volunteers are; but we
dont have many of those - ie: gnutoo and i would probably just appoint
ourselves, due to lack of willing candidates (just as we have already taken it
upon ourselves to begin categorizing and hacking these) - this list has barely
been used in the past 5 years - this is the sort of activity it desperately to
re-invigorate its usefulness to the community

we have already done much of the needed research on the parabola bug tracker;
though, it really should have happened on this mailing list - the only reason
that information has not made it onto this mailing list until now, is because
there are no other distros interested in helping - the few other distros which
had any desire to address these package managers, simply chose to discard them
- IMHO, that is a fine option; but obviously, none will ever become liberated
that way - trisquel may be the only one of those with the desire to reinstate
them in a liberated form

On Wed, 12 Jul 2023 22:02:30 -0400 Richard wrote:
> Can you set yourselves a deadline of 3 weeks to find which are the
> easier targets, and report?

i definitely like that plan - it feels like movement