gnu-system-discuss

Re: Release information for GZip

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Release information for GZip
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2019 12:25:53 -0600

On 2/6/19 6:21 AM, address@hidden wrote:

>>From your site I could not get the patch information and the release date for
>>the product GZip. As a part of our regular exercise and to keep Wells Fargo's
>>environment up to date I need your help in getting the latest patches if any
>>and release dates for the below mentioned product version.

https://www.gnu.org/software/gzip/ points you to
https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gzip/ for the latest downloads (gzip-1.10 on
2018-12-30), as well as to https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gzip/ for
the latest status, which includes a link to
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gzip.git at the most up-to-date state
(as of the time of this email, commit 20540be6 is 4 commits beyond v1.10).

But it feels a bit weird that you couldn't do your homework and find
this information out for yourself, as all of this information is in the
public (one of the many nice benefits of free software).

Meanwhile, I found all of those links within just the couple of minutes
it took me to write this email; but if something was particularly hard
to locate, we welcome patches to improve the ease of locating those links.

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gzip.git/tree/NEWS is your friend.

> S.No
>
> Versions
>
> Latest /patch/ Release /Version #
> (Available with the vendor)

Wait. This mailing list is just for the upstream source code; we only
worry about the latest version, and don't maintain any stable branches
of a subset of patches applied to an older release.  It sounds like you
may be asking more about pre-built binaries, which you must have
obtained from some vendor; if so, your questions about what that vendor
has built are better asked to that vendor than upstream.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3226