gnue-dev

Re: [Gnue-dev] Object-Relational Mapping?

From: Reinhard Mueller
Subject: Re: [Gnue-dev] Object-Relational Mapping?
Date: 17 Jan 2003 18:39:32 +0100

Am Fre, 2003-01-17 um 13.41 schrieb Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti
Dutra:
> On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 08:23, Reinhard Mueller wrote:
> >
> > Applications will probably not do die-hard normalization at any cost.
>
>       Why not?  They certainly should.

It might be that we mean different things when we talk about "die-hard
normalization at any cost".

> > We
> > believe that data of business applications is mostly of relational
> > nature.
>
>       This does not make sense.  The relational model certainly can represent
> any data whatsoever.  This is a SQL failure, not a relational one.

Sorry, but I don't understand your statement, and maybe my statement was
unclear (sorry I'm not a native English speaker).
I was meaning that business data can usually be handeled very well using
a relational model.

>       Now, if one wants to implement a valid D, that would be incredibly
> nice, and even in scope (how can one build great apps withoug great DBs,
> and how can great DBs be built without a true RDBMS?), but it is
> certainly something to think about at least twice.

Sorry, what is "a valid D"?

Reinhard

--
Reinhard Mueller