gnue-dev

Re: [Gnue-dev] Why the Object metaphor?

From: Daniel E Baumann
Subject: Re: [Gnue-dev] Why the Object metaphor?
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 00:03:02 -0600

On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 09:33:11AM +0000, Stanley A. Klein wrote:
> Let me toss one other hot button into the discussion.  I recently attended
> something called the monthly "Collaborative Exploration Workshop."  It is a
> combined Federal government, industry, etc. meeting that is exploring
> issues in e-government.  A speaker at the last meeting talked about "Web
> Services," which I had always taken to be a buzzword without content behind
> it.  The speaker (the former CIO of Utah) talked about web services as a
> more loosely coupled replacement for the (he implied legacy) tightly
> coupled concept of multi-tiered systems.  (BTW, he also admitted that many
> people use the term as a content-free buzzword that can mean whatever they
> happen to be selling. :-)
>
> Many of the things he mentioned I recognized as being present in GNUe, and
> I'm sure that GNUe can be a useful component in the kind of system he was
> talking about.  Should we keep the "web services" concept in mind, even as
> we are discussing the key building block of a multi-tiered system?
>
> I hope I've contributed to the (continuation) of this valuable discussion.
> Let's keep it going.  I think we will all learn something as a result.

Well I feel that the RPC abstraction that is in GNUe Common adds "web
service" support to our infratstructure as we define them. Most here
are not so hot about web applications because we think of this meaning
a stateless html presentation of things. In reality, we support web
serives right now thanks to the great work of Jason and Jan. However,
anything beyond this wrt specific 'services' it is wide open. However,
when DotGNU does nail down certain interfaces/services that
components/tools should expose GNUe could easily adapt with minimal
effort *if* there is a desire to. In short, I think it is probably
fair to say we leave those things to the DotGNU project :).

Dan
--
And if cynics ridicule freedom, ridicule community...if ``hard nosed
realists'' say that profit is the only ideal...just ignore them, and use

Was I helpful?  Let others know:
  http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=chillywilly