gnue-dev

Some questions about contributing

From: Theo Willows
Subject: Some questions about contributing
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 09:02:55 +0100

Hi all!

Is GNUe still being developed? I've noticed that the latest releases are from late 2009, and the activity in the mailing lists is rather low. Usually this means either a project is dying, or something big is about to happen. I hope in the case of GNUe it's the latter.

I am currently involved in a project setting up an information system for an organisation, and GNUe would fit perfectly at its core. Being a software engineer myself, I would like to contribute, but I haven't written a line of Python in my life (Java, C/C++, Perl, PHP, _javascript_... but no Python). However, I can imagine two ways to contribute:

First: As far as I can see there are no (released) Swedish translations of any of the tools. Being fluent in both Swedish and English, I think I could provide a lot.

Second: Within my plan of using GNUe there are users on multiple platforms, all of whom are scared off by anything more complicated than a calculator. I could build a Java/Swing GUI client for GNUe, for data manipulation, report creation and even redefining the data schema. It would (eventually) be highly functional, yet with the end users in mind.

Both of the above would help out my personal project as well as GNUe in general. My questions are thus:

1. Is GNUe still actively developed?

2. How do I make translations (the "Get Involved!" section of the web site says nothing about it)? Specifically, how do I set up translations for a new language?

3. Is there an interest in a (Java) GUI client? Or have I just not understood the greatness of the existing tools?

(If this is the wrong forum for these questions, please accept my apologies and direct me in the right way.)

Sincerely
Theo Willows
Stockholm - Sweden