gnue-dev

Re: Creating GFD files - Manual/Script/Designer

From: Reinhard Mueller
Subject: Re: Creating GFD files - Manual/Script/Designer
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 19:25:32 +0100

Hi, Randall!

Am Montag, den 28.02.2011, 10:10 -0800 schrieb Randall Whitman:
> Reinhard/anyone: how do you create GFD files currently?

Pure text editor. Of course most of the times starting off with a
similar GFD and then changing things.

> One of my thoughts, which I had not yet spelled out on the maillist,
> isa command-line script to generate a basic GFD file from a schema,
> like what we would expect from the Designer wizard/druid.

For a long time I've been thinking about a feature in gnue-forms to pass
a connection and table name, let database introspection find out the
schema of the table, and dynamically build a form to edit all fields of
this database.

Obviously it would be absurd that the database introspection part
creates an XML file/stream which gnue-forms later has to parse again -
better we would just dynamically build the object tree in memory. Of
course we could then always run dumpXML on the object tree root to get
an XML file out of it.

(Actually I think it is designer's way of working anyway to create the
object tree in memory and on save do a dumpXML)

Thanks,
Reinhard