gnue-dev

Re: Combobox wx vs gtk

From: Reinhard Mueller
Subject: Re: Combobox wx vs gtk
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 09:24:48 +0100

Hi, John!

Am Sonntag, den 20.11.2011, 11:07 +0200 schrieb John Proios:
> The conclusion was chocking(PowerMac G5 2000 Dual)!  2sec in GDK
> and 179sec in WX !!!

Wow. This is an impressive difference!

> I was thinking that GDK library is more practical and I was wondering
> why you removed it?

WX gives us Windows, GTK and Mac support. We also had a native Windows
UI driver and a native GTK UI driver, but it didn't seem a good idea to
maintain three different UI drivers when we only get the same supported
platforms we could get with only maintaining a single UI driver.

> Should I search for another library that will have the great interface
> of WX and the speed of curses?
> What do you think?

Rather than starting to maintain a new UI driver, I'd rather try to work
with the wx developers to improve their library and make it faster for
this operation. The long term benefit for GNUe will be higher (same set
of features with lower maintenance effort), and it will also help Free
Software as a whole: we help to make a library better, and thus we also
make all other programs better that use this library.

Thanks,
Reinhard