Re: [Gnump3d-users] Windows problem + question

From: Kevin Reilly
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] Windows problem + question
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 01:27:27 +0100

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 Jigga What wrote:

1) When i run "run.bat" localhost works but as soon as i click on a
file name, the bat file stops running. anyone know why? I followed
Steve's email and removed the last line ("Posix (exit).. ) but it still
wouldnt play music or last longer.. any idea why?

I can't be certain why, but I had a similar problem with an early installation whereby removing the line had no effect. This is why you'll see from the messages here that I was dubious about the method's merits when Steve suggested it. I had already tried it once with no success.

All I can suggest is that you go to the CVS archive and download any components that are reasonably new, or at least newer than the full distribution you have. That's what I was doing, and I've ended up with a hybrid mish-mash of various versions of elements, but the line removal DOES work on this setup so one of the updates is clearly important. For a start, it's worth grabbing the update that uses .BAT files instead of raw Perl scripts for the indexing and history functions under Windows. That seems to help smooth things along with Windows installations.

2) im tryint to create username/password. how do i do that in windows
since it wont let me create a ".password" file.

Most Windows file managers (including Explorer) won't let you have a file that consists of just an extension. Some, like Directory Opus, will, but for a quick and free solution just open a command line window and use the Edit program to create the .password file. I suppose another option would be to save the file with a Windows-compliant name from Notepad, then use the command line to rename it to .password.

--
Kev
     "I saw the slow-moving, sad-faced old gentleman as he bounced off the