Re: [Gnump3d-users] Server crashing

From: Steve Kemp
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] Server crashing
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 16:26:51 +0100

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 05:22:50PM +0200, manuel 'fmf' ferrero wrote:

> Debian woody with gnump3d-2.8 compiled from source.
>
> I noticed that every day i have to restart the server, because it
> silently crash.

  What time does it crash?  Do you see anything in the logfile
 suggesting a last access?

  The main reason I ask is because when I put together the Debian
 package for unstable/sarge I setup a cronjob that would reindex
 and rotate the logfiles.   This could be the cause of your error..

  The server isn't supposed to crash (clearly!) and I've not had
 any credible reports that it does so on a daily basis before.

> If i restart it with start-stop-daemon i get a message saying the gnump3
> pid doesn't exist.

  Yes .. if you use 'restart' the init script assumes that the server
 is already running, so it tries to lookup the PID to kill it in the
 /var/run/gnump3d.pid file - if this is missing then it will not
 restart.

  In this case run '/etc/init.d/gnump3d start' rather than 'restart'

> What can i do to solve it?

  Work out why it crashes, then fix that ;)

Steve