Re: [Gnump3d-users] About the new "New" feuture

From: Steve Kemp
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] About the new "New" feuture
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 20:12:50 +0000

On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 07:26:16PM +0000, Boris Kurktchiev wrote:
> Ok now that we have New indicator it needs to be refined. I just went through
> and renamed my entire collection to a new filename scheme(thats about 41,000
> files) and now gnump3d is telling me that everything is new. Which is ok, but
> if I enter that directory and listen to something out of it gnump3d should
> update the access of it and say after 2 accesses(or a definable variable) in
> there it should remove the New indicator.

  No.

  To do that would mean keeping track of all the times every single
 file had been accessed.  In order for it to work you'd need to take
 into account people viewing a song from multiple IP addresses too.

  Otherwise when you viewed it twice (or however many times) then
 it would be old to you - but if you viewed it from a different machine
 it would be new again.

  I think the current date based system is the best, however if somebody
 were to code it as an option, via reading the access log it could be
 added.

  I can't help thinking that if you want to do this properly it should
 be done properly with a database backend.

Steve